Wednesday, June 6, 2007

From The Pit

WARNING: This is the beginning of a graphic horror novel. Read at your own risk! Don't say I didn't warn you.........

It's dark, so very dark.

How long have I been walking? It feels like an eternity: days, months, maybe even years. I realize I don't even know my name. It feels like I just awakened in the darkness, walking toward something unknown. I can't even see my hand in front of my face so I can't tell if I have any identifiable marks on me. Unending screams pierce the darkness behind me, blocking out everything except the sound of my footsteps. Blood curdling screams, as if something is being tortured and murdered. So I keep moving forward not daring to stop.

The walls in this cold void consist of very sharp rocks. Although I can't see them, I have an innate sense to avoid cutting myself. I cannot explain it but I feel as if I am being pulled forward, as if I am being led by an invisible hand. The stench of this place is sickening. Very frequently I'll step on something soft. I could swear it is a corpse but having no light I just keep moving. Who am I kidding; I am unable to stop even if I wanted to. The pulling..

It occurred to me I could be prey and I think I was being hunted. A while ago, through the screams, I heard something slithering quite close. I walked quieter trying to avoid an encounter. It followed me for many miles. I could hear it whispering, calling to me but I was unable to stop. Then, I heard a crunching like many bones being broken and the slithering stopped.

The void torments me but it also gives nourishment. Every once in a while I'll feel something soft and warm on the walls; that's when I feed. I don't know what it is but it is tasty flesh. The sweet blood runs down my neck before I can lick it all up. It's the only satisfaction I ever get here. I discard the bones without stopping.

The void seems to be getting smaller. I have to stoop over to avoid banging my head on the sharp ceiling. Where am I going? There are so many questions but I have no answers. The cold is beginning to fade and I fear I am nearing journey's end. But to where? What horrors await me at the end?

I now hear whispering up ahead. I can't make out words but I hear many voices. The closer I get the more it sounds like chanting. Now the pulling is unbearable as my pace quickens but with little effort from me. I now see a small light in the distance growing larger as I get closer.

The ground is now soft and warm; I hear a crunching and moaning over the screams with every step. I am definitely walking on many creatures because I can feel their touch. They are reaching out, grabbing my legs as I step down braking whatever bones are in my path. My pace quickens as I sense the light up ahead is where I am being pulled to.

Suddenly, I am standing within a pentagram of flames. There are now six hooded and cloaked figures staring at me. I cannot see their faces but I can see their eyes. Their eyes are glowing, piercing me. Their chanting has stopped and one of them approaches wielding a large black sword. I brace for battle but he kneels before me and holds the blade over his head for me to take.

They chant in unison, "All Hail Orcus, Prince of the Undead!"

I smile. A great weight has been lifted as I realize I am not prey. Now I remember who I am!

The creature kneeling now looks up at me but I am still unable to see his face. He says to me, "We have summoned you and you have come as prophesized."

"Where am I?"

"You have crawled through the Abyss and have arrived in the human world of Nevaeh, my lord. Its plagued with wars; eons of wars. So many dead they have begun burying fresh corpses over the ancient dead. Very little hallowed ground here; it's starting to sour. There are many souls to torture and the flesh is warm! What are your orders, master?"

"I am weak from travel, summon my army through the portal."

"As you wish."

I touch my blade as a cold shock rushes through my body, instantly energizing me. I raise the sword toward the skies. "The age of humans will now end! We will eat their flesh!"

From the diary of Orcus

No comments: